Coming up at 5:30 pm EDT!
On this week’s episode of The Debrief, Dominic and I return for a look at three bishops from different parts of the world: one from Asia, one from Latin America, and one from Africa.
1) Pope Francis officially appoints a bishop for Shanghai
2) Nicaraguan Bishop released, then returns to prison
3) A brief profile of a new African cardinal
Summary and Links:
1) Bishop Joseph Shen Bin
On July 15, Pope Francis officially appointed Bishop Joseph Shen Bin as bishop of Shanghai. Back in April, Bishop Shen was installed in Shanghai without the approval of the Holy See. At the time, the Vatican strongly condemned this decision, a clear violation of the Vatican-China agreement on appointing bishops.
Why did the Vatican approve this appointment three months later?
- Analysis: Why Pope Francis recognized a bishop appointed in violation of Vatican-China deal | America Magazine
- Cardinal Parolin: Pope appoints Shanghai bishop for good of diocese and dialogue – Vatican News
2) Bishop Rolando Alvarez
Nicaraguan Catholic Bishop Rolando Alvarez was released from prison on July 4, but then returned to prison on July 5 after negotiations between Alvarez and the government broke down. Bishop Alvarez was sentenced to 26 years in prison back in February by Daniel Ortega’s government.
Why did Bishop Alvarez return to prison?
- Nicaragua: Bishop Álvarez sentenced to 26 years’ imprisonment – Vatican News
- Nicaraguan Catholic Bishop Alvarez freed, talks going on | Reuters
- Nicaraguan Catholic bishop back to jail after talks stall, local media report | Reuters
3) Cardinal-designate Stephen Ameyu
South Sudanese Archbishop Stephen Ameyu faced stiff resistance when he was appointed to the Archdiocese of Juba in late 2019.
Shortly after he was named archbishop, many in the archdiocese accused the archbishop of corruption, and of manipulating his way into the position — saying that he had influenced a Vatican diplomat and and even that he had fathered at least six children. Ameyu denied the allegations.
In February of this year, Pope Francis visited South Sudan.
By elevating him to the rank of cardinal, Francis seems to have reconfirmed his faith in his choice.
- Pope Francis promotes Archbishop Stephen Ameyu to Cardinal – Sudans Post
- Meet Pope Francis’s new African cardinals | Crux
- Archbishop of Juba’s heartfelt message to Pope Francis as he was returning to Rome. – Vatican News
ABOUT THE DEBRIEF
Intro Episode: https://youtu.be/LevSkGFqq4U
A weekly show where we dive deep into the news, topics, questions, and controversies facing the Catholic Church today. Hosted by Dominic de Souza, founder of SmartCatholics, posing questions to Mike Lewis, editor and cofounder of Where Peter Is. We bring you commentary, analysis, and context on tough questions that the Church is facing. Whether you’re a devout Catholic, a curious seeker, or just interested in the news and happenings in the Church, join us for The Debrief. When it comes to news and controversies in the Catholic Church, stay curious, informed, and engaged.
Visit Where Peter Is.com to read articles, commentaries, and spiritual reflections by and for faithful Catholics who support the mission and vision of Pope Francis.
The conversation is brought to you from SmartCatholics.com, the free online community for millennials, creators, and learners. Join our private WherePeterIs group to ask questions, share insights, and suggest topics for next time. (Smart Catholics)
Consider becoming a Patreon sponsor for Where Peter Is. Your generosity will help us continue to bring valuable content to you and enhance the quality of this show. (Where Peter Is | creating content in support of Pope Francis (writing and multimedia | Patreon)