Scheduling problems last week pushed the release of the most recent episode of The Debrief to Friday evening, so in case you missed it, the most recent episode is posted on YouTube and wherever you listen to podcasts (I recommend the YouTube version for the best experience because Dominic handed over the visual controls to me this week and I had a bit of fun with my new graphical powers.)
In this episode, we discussed issues that came to light on the most surreal day in the history of #CatholicTwitter: Friday, May 12, 2023.
Topics this (last) week:
- The ongoing saga of the “Hope Is Fuel” conference. (Note: this was recorded prior to Peter Kwasniewski announced his withdrawal. Check out Mark Shea’s recent post for details.)
- Bishop Joseph Strickland openly announces his rejection of Pope Francis’s “program of undermining the Deposit of Faith.” Has he finally crossed the line? Will Rome take action?
- Following Taylor Marshall’s recent announcement that he is running for president of the United States (yes, seriously), I share some campaign posters I designed and suggest a few potential running mates and campaign slogans he might want to consider.
Be sure to check out the links below in the show notes!
As always, in addition to YouTube (please subscribe to our channel), you can listen to The Debrief wherever you listen to podcasts. Just search for “Where Peter Is” and it should pop up!
1) Catholic speakers withdraw from “Hope Is Fuel”
2) A Texas Bishop crosses the line
3) Marshall for President?
Summary and Links:
1) Once discovering that the “Hope Is Fuel” event that they’ve agreed to headline is organized by sedevacantist Patrick Coffin and will feature E Michael Jones, a notorious antisemite, a group of Catholic speakers withdraw en masse.
– “Hope Is Fooled” by Mike Lewis (WPI): https://wherepeteris.com/hope-is-fooled/
– “‘Hope Is Fuel’ conference fans flames of controversy over antisemitic, sedevacantist Catholic headliners” by Gina Christian (OSV): https://catholicreview.org/hope-is-fuel-conference-fans-flames-of-controversy-over-antisemitic-sedevacantist-catholic-headliners/
2) Texas bishop Joseph Strickland tweets that Pope Francis is “undermining the deposit of Faith.” Is this significant? Will anything happen?
– “Texas bishop publicly rejects ‘program’ of Pope Francis” by Mike Lewis (WPI): https://wherepeteris.com/texas-bishop-publicly-rejects-program-of-pope-francis/
– “Strickland, Schism, Schneider and the SSPX” by Mike Lewis: https://wherepeteris.com/strickland-schism-schneider-and-the-sspx/
“Texas Bishop Strickland accuses Pope Francis of undermining Catholic faith” by Brian Fraga (NCR): https://www.ncronline.org/news/texas-bishop-strickland-accuses-pope-francis-undermining-catholic-faith
– “Strickland, U.S. Bishop’s Social Media Sows Division” by Christopher Lamb: https://sacredheartuniversity.typepad.com/go_rebuild_my_house/2023/05/strickland-us-bishops-social-media-sows-division.html
3) Traditionalist YouTuber declared that he is running for president of the USA. Mike suggests potential running mates and campaign slogans.
– “Taylor Marshall for Prez in 2024! The Catholic candidate whose time has come.” by Michael Sean Winters: https://www.ncronline.org/opinion/ncr-voices/taylor-marshall-prez-2024-catholic-candidate-whose-time-has-come
ABOUT THE DEBRIEF
Intro Episode: https://youtu.be/LevSkGFqq4U
A weekly show where we dive deep into the news, topics, questions, and controversies facing the Catholic Church today. Hosted by Dominic de Souza, founder of SmartCatholics, posing questions to Mike Lewis, editor and cofounder of Where Peter Is. We bring you commentary, analysis, and context on tough questions that the Church is facing. Whether you’re a devout Catholic, a curious seeker, or just interested in the news and happenings in the Church, join us for The Debrief. When it comes to news and controversies in the Catholic Church, stay curious, informed, and engaged.
WHERE PETER IS
Visit Where Peter Is.com to read articles, commentaries, and spiritual reflections by and for faithful Catholics who support the mission and vision of Pope Francis. https://wherepeteris.com
The conversation is brought to you from SmartCatholics.com, the free online community for millennials, creators, and learners. Join our private WherePeterIs group to ask questions, share insights, and suggest topics for next time. https://smartcatholics.com
Consider becoming a Patreon sponsor for Where Peter Is. Your generosity will help us continue to bring valuable content to you and enhance the quality of this show. https://www.patreon.com/where_peter_is
Discuss this article!
Keep the conversation going in our SmartCatholics Group! You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Mike Lewis is the founding managing editor of Where Peter Is. He and Jeannie Gaffigan co-host Field Hospital, a U.S. Catholic podcast.