In this week’s episode of The Debrief, Dominic De Souza and I discuss three recent debates in the Church.
First, we look at the controversial decision by Cardinal Blase Cupich to limit the exposition of the Blessed Sacrament when a cross-country Eucharistic procession passes through the Archdiocese of Chicago. How does he justify this, theologically? Is it worth the backlash? Is there more to the story?
Next, we talk about two recent articles from Where Peter Is that have been a source of controversy on social media this week. Both Alessandra Harris and I wrote about the Sacrament of Reconciliation — particularly the denial of absolution by the priest. Dominic and I discuss, in light of Pope Francis’s teaching, why the denial of absolution should be rare. We also discuss the repercussions of negative confession experiences and how they can seriously harm the faith of a penitent.
Finally, we discuss an article recently published by Catholic Answers by an English Dominican priest, Fr. Thomas Crean, who argues that the Church infallibly teaches that unbaptized babies will not be saved. Why is this problematic? Why is Catholic Answers promoting his position, which contradicts the Church’s current teaching? Why are they providing a platform for a priest who has signed public letters accusing Pope Francis of teachings heresy and doctrinal errors, who coauthored a book advocating in favor of a society that would deny citizenship to Jews and other non-Christians?
The conflict over Eucharistic Adoration in Chicago
When should absolution be denied in Confession?
Is Limbo dead?
Next week: An Anglican Mass in a Catholic basilica in Rome?
• “A eucharistic revival that renews the church” by Cardinal Cupich: https://www.chicagocatholic.com/cardinal-blase-j.-cupich/-/article/2022/11/02/a-eucharistic-revival-that-renews-the-church-part-v
• Eucharistic pilgrimage expected to ‘restrict’ adoration in Chicago archdiocese: https://www.pillarcatholic.com/p/eucharistic-pilgrimage-expected-to
• “Thomas Reese’s Eucharistic Incoherence” by Mike Lewis: https://wherepeteris.com/thomas-reeses-eucharistic-incoherence/
• “Why we should err on the side of Mercy” by Mike Lewis: https://wherepeteris.com/why-we-should-err-on-the-side-of-mercy/
• “When the Church Refuses God’s Love” by Alessandra Harris: https://wherepeteris.com/when-the-church-refuses-gods-love/
• “Views of the Scholastics on Non-Christians Who Can Be Saved” by Adam Rasmussen: https://wherepeteris.com/views-of-the-scholastics-on-non-christians-who-can-be-saved/
• “Wrestling with the fate of the Unbaptized” by Fr Thomas Crean, OP: https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/what-is-limbo
ABOUT THE DEBRIEF
Intro Episode: https://youtu.be/LevSkGFqq4U
A weekly show where we dive deep into the news, topics, questions, and controversies facing the Catholic Church today. Hosted by Dominic de Souza, founder of SmartCatholics, posing questions to Mike Lewis, editor and cofounder of Where Peter Is. We bring you commentary, analysis, and context on tough questions that the Church is facing. Whether you’re a devout Catholic, a curious seeker, or just interested in the news and happenings in the Church, join us for The Debrief. When it comes to news and controversies in the Catholic Church, stay curious, informed, and engaged.
WHERE PETER IS
Visit Where Peter Is.com to read articles, commentaries, and spiritual reflections by and for faithful Catholics who support the mission and vision of Pope Francis. https://wherepeteris.com
The conversation is brought to you from SmartCatholics.com, the free online community for millennials, creators, and learners. Join our private WherePeterIs group to ask questions, share insights, and suggest topics for next time. https://smartcatholics.com
Consider becoming a Patreon sponsor for Where Peter Is. Your generosity will help us continue to bring valuable content to you and enhance the quality of this show. https://www.patreon.com/where_peter_is