Dominic de Souza joined me yesterday for another episode of the debrief, and we discussed the communication problems of the Pontifical Academy for Life, the miscommunication that led to an Anglican liturgy being held in the Lateran Cathedral in Rome, the new synod voting rules, and the recent statement by Pope Francis that he would like to visit his home country of Argentina for the first time since his 2013 election in October 2024.
I’d like to make one minor correction about something I said about the synodal voting process. I mentioned that the general public would have an opportunity to participate in the voting process. That was incorrect, to the best of my knowledge. I don’t know what I was envisioning (an American Idol-style call-in vote?). Anyway, we can certainly assist with our prayers, but I don’t think we’ll be able to vote in any way. I apologize for the miscommunication.
Vatican Archbishop under fire for comments on assisted suicide?
Does Synod Voting now includes the whole church?
Will Pope Francis be visiting Argentina?
Next week: Pope Francis is traveling to Hungary
• Mike Lofton @ReasonandTheology
• Vatican News article, “Archbishop Paglia clarifies stance on assisted suicide” https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatican-city/news/2023-04/archbishop-paglia-clarifies-stance-on-assisted-suicide.html
• Paglia End of Life Statement Clarification: https://www.academyforlife.va/content/pav/en/news/2023/paglia-end-of-life-statement.html
• The Tablet: “Rome Basilica Apologizes for Allowing Anglicans to Celebrate Mass” https://thetablet.org/rome-basilica-apologizes-for-allowing-anglicans-to-celebrate-mass/
• Synod: Laymen and laywomen eligible to vote at General Assembly: https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatican-city/news/2023-04/synod-synodality-general-assemblies-laypeople-eligible-vote.html
• Gerard O’Connell in America, “For first time in history, Pope Francis gives women right to vote at the synod”: https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2023/04/26/pope-francis-women-vote-synod-245178
• Article from the official Synod Website: https://www.synod.va/en/news/some-news-for-the-october-2023-assembly.html
• Reuters “Pope Francis plans to visit his native Argentina in 2024, local media reports” https://www.reuters.com/world/pope-francis-plans-visit-his-native-argentina-2024-local-media-reports-2023-04-23/
ABOUT THE DEBRIEF
Intro Episode: https://youtu.be/LevSkGFqq4U
A weekly show where we dive deep into the news, topics, questions, and controversies facing the Catholic Church today. Hosted by Dominic de Souza, founder of SmartCatholics, posing questions to Mike Lewis, editor and cofounder of Where Peter Is. We bring you commentary, analysis, and context on tough questions that the Church is facing. Whether you’re a devout Catholic, a curious seeker, or just interested in the news and happenings in the Church, join us for The Debrief. When it comes to news and controversies in the Catholic Church, stay curious, informed, and engaged.
WHERE PETER IS
Visit Where Peter Is.com to read articles, commentaries, and spiritual reflections by and for faithful Catholics who support the mission and vision of Pope Francis. https://wherepeteris.com
The conversation is brought to you from SmartCatholics.com, the free online community for millennials, creators, and learners. Join our private WherePeterIs group to ask questions, share insights, and suggest topics for next time. https://smartcatholics.com
Consider becoming a Patreon sponsor for Where Peter Is. Your generosity will help us continue to bring valuable content to you and enhance the quality of this show. https://www.patreon.com/where_peter_is