I’m very excited to announce the premiere episode of Field Hospital: How the church heals a wounded world, a new podcast that Jeannie Gaffigan and I are hosting. The podcast is produced by U.S. Catholic and sponsored by the Viatorian Fathers. A new episode will air every two weeks. In this podcast, Jeannie and will be joined by a guest with a unique perspective on an issue of importance to the Church. Our conversation will explore how we can work to heal the wounds of the Church today.
Our very first guest is our friend Austen Ivereigh, who has written two biographies of Pope Francis and collaborated with the pope on Let Us Dream, a book in which Francis shares his vision for the church in the post-COVID era. In this episode of Field Hospital we talk to Austen from his rural home in western England, where he’s anticipating the birth of new lambs—he told us that two of his sheep were ready to to give birth any minute!
We discuss with Austen how Pope Francis calls the church to rediscover what it means to be a missionary church that is deeply involved in the reality of our times.
Please subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts and tell your friends!
Also — don’t forget to check out the books and articles mentioned in the episode, including:
- The Great Reformer: Francis and the Making of a Radical Pope
- Wounded Shepherd: Pope Francis and His Struggle to Convert the Catholic Church
- Let Us Dream: The Path to a Better Future
- An Interview with Pope Francis: ‘A Time of Great Uncertainty’
- The hour of the People: Pope Francis and the Post-Covid moment
- Pope Francis, Fake News, and Post-Truth Journalism
Image: Austen Ivereigh with some of his sheep. (Provided by Austen.)